GRC and the Green Card Process
According to the USCIS, EB-5 investors (and their spouses and unmarried children under 21) who make an investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States and who plan to create ten permanent full time jobs for qualified United States workers, are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence). 3,000 green cards are set aside each year specifically for foreign investors who invest in “designated Regional Centers” such as the Geothermal Regional Center. Because a set number of green cards are available every year, there is no excessive waiting periods like many other green card options.
The program provides for the issuance of green cards to qualifying investors and their families who:
- Invest US $500,000 into an approved Regional Center such as Geothermal Regional Center.
- Such investment creates 10 direct or indirect permanent jobs for U.S. workers.
If these criteria are met, an “unconditional” or permanent green card will be issued to the investor and his family after two years. This green card allows you and your family members to live permanently in the United States. For more information, see Section 203(b)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and 8 CFR 204.6 .
Benefits of Obtaining a Green Card
- Live, work or retire anywhere in the United States (not limited to Nevada).
- Free to return to your home country for visits or business purposes, as long as a residence is maintained in the United States.
- Sponsor green cards for your relatives.
- No authorization from USCIS required to accept employment.
- Travel outside the United States and return without a visa.
- Education benefits such as admission to public colleges and universities at the same costs as those of permanent residents for all of your children under the age of 21.
- Eligible for United States citizenship in only 5 years.
- The time spent with a green card is credited towards the 5-year lawful permanent residency requirement for U.S. citizenship.
Geothermal Regional Center & Your Green Card
The Geothermal Regional Center will be available to provide you with the following:
- Recommendations of qualified and reputable immigration attorneys that will assist you with your petition.
- Access to the EB-5 current project can be arranged so that you can see investment dollars at work.
- Project and investment documentation that validates that you have fulfilled all the requirements of your EB-5 application.
- Monitor your EB-5 investment and the current project.
- Regular reports updating you on the progress of the project, job creation, and the status of your EB-5 investment.
- Information that will be required for tax return preparation.
- Recommendations of qualified and reputable certified public and tax accountants.
- Answer any questions you may have during the EB-5 process.